Live Traffic

Thursday, August 25, 2016

59 year old woman falls 35 feet to her death while riding a zip line

A 59 year old woman Werner from Felton, fell 35 feet to her death from a zip line platform in after she allegedly disconnected herself from the safety system, the attraction's operator said Thursday.
Delaware State Police investigators are investigating how Tina Werner tumbled off the platform at the Go Ape Tree Top Adventure attraction in Lums Pond State Park on Wednesday.

Participants at Go Ape courses are equipped with climbing harnesses and two sets of ropes with carabiners that they unclip and clip to safety wires in sequence as they move through the trees and Werner, had completed the required safety training, and was nearing the end of the course when she fell, said Jeff Davis, a spokesman for Go Ape.
He said:
"Participant witnesses have stated that at the time of the accident the participant had unfortunately disconnected herself from the safety system" .
An inspection found that all of the course and associated safety equipment was in sound operating condition, and that "nothing was broken or unserviceable," Davis wrote.

Werner's daughter, Melissa Slater, described her mom as "super fun," and "adventurous." After traveling to Venice, Italy and taking a hot-air balloon ride, Werner had told her daughter Tuesday that riding the zip line was next.
She said of her mum:
"She was finishing her bucket list."

According to the website of Go Ape, which is based in Frederick, Maryland, and operates attractions in 15 states, patrons receive a 30-minute training session before being turned loose on the course, which can take them as high as 50 feet in the air.

Slater said her mom, who was visiting Lums Pond with a friend, was able to complete at least one zip line ride before falling.xx "So she did do it".

The Spokesperson said the attraction has been closed for now to help with the investigation, and out of respect to Werner's family.
"The Go Ape company is extremely saddened by this," he said. Park rangers and Go Ape employees performed first aid on Werner until paramedics arrived, but she was pronounced dead at Christiana Hospital, Maryland.

No comments:

Post a Comment